Tuesday

Meet Faith M Kabende, One of Africa's Top Fashion Designers.

In the last two decades, African has taken up center stage in the fashion industry and Zambia hasn't been left behind. We have Amaka Osakwe, of Maki Oh, the Nigerian fashion designer who recently dressed Michelle Obama. We have the likes of  Adama Paris from Senegal, Thula Sindi from South Africa, Taibo Bacar from Mozambique, Pooja Jeshang from Tanzania just to mention but a few. I like the way Fashion is changing the face of Africa. We now have Hollywood embracing African Fashion which is very exciting. I would simply say..,well DONE African Designers!!

Lets meet Faith M Kabende of Fay Designs, Zambia's own Pride and Joy!

I recently met up with Faith and I had a chat with her. What an amazing woman! Very collective, down to earth, humble..,my kind of woman! I honestly didn't expect she was gonna agree to meet with me deal to her busy life....and honestly, her fame. But I was amazed when she said yes and created sometime to have a chat with me. She is truly an amazing, my true African Super Woman. I wanted to know how her story, we sat down and she started telling me her story..,she calls it "My Super Story."

"My super Story," Faith..

Faith Mulenga Kabende, like many stories of designers we have heard before, has never studied fashion and design in her life! She discovered her passion for fashion when she was about 12 years old she tells me. By the time she was 15 years, she had already started making her own clothes that she would were at school on civilian day, she recalls with a laughter. She goes on to say, "I remember how my friends used to look forward to see what kind of an outfit I was going to pull off on civilian day at school. I would normally wear maybe a tie and a waistcoat, just something crazy. And back then, it wasn't something very common to wear clothes like that. With the help of my mother, I would sketch and she would hand-sew the clothes for me." She recalls with a warm smile on her face.

The Birth Of Fay Designs
The name Fay was derived from her name "Faith". Before going into fashion and designing full time, Faith used to work for Zambia Telecommunication (Zamtel). She used to design part time while working but she got so over whelmed with her clients mostly friends and friends of friends who liked her outfits. At the age of 27, she decided to quite her job and went into fashion full time. People thought it was a crazy idea to stop work and follow her passion. She says, it was the best thing to do and she has no regrates.

She showcased her work at the Zambian Fashion week for the first time about seven years ago. But her international recognition came about when she was invited to showcase her collection in South Africa at the launch of a Modeling Agency. Since then, she has showcased her designs in Malaysia when she went to attend a training in Entrepreneurship.
Her work has been seen at the African Fashion Week in London. Last year and the year before, she showcased her designs in Paris at the World Fashion Reception. And many other fashion receptions across Africa. She hopes to showcase her work in New York too.., That's my kind of woman! there is no stopping her!

The President of Zambia Edgar Lungu wearing a Fay Designs shirt.
In Zambia, she is dressing ministers, business women and men, including the president of Zambia, His Excellency Edgar Lungu. Her collection includes; men's wear, women's wear, both casual and office wear. She also has a line of wedding dresses, shoes and some handbags. She has a very unique collection with a touch of African print on almost all her collection which i love so much.

CHALLENGES IN THE INDUSTRY
Copycats, she says. I guess this is what most fashion designers would tell you. Its easy for anyone download a picture of the design and make their own. This is killing the designers big time because, they cant make money out of their work. Hope this can be sorted out somehow.

FAY DESIGNS COLLECTION by Faith M Kabende





HER WORDS

"You don't have to work for money when you are starting a business, do it with all your heart and money will eventually come, that's how you grow a business."

"If you dream of going into the fashion and designing industry, you need to have interest and be determined. You should love it with all your heart otherwise you will never make it because this industry is so stressful."
Myself with Faith M. Kabende
Faith with the Vice President of Zambia, Inonge Mutukwa Wina

3 comments:

  1. BRILLIENT POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring.. the sky is not the limit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. V K Pandey4 April 2017 at 12:25

    Proud of you......
    Your design lines are too expensive for me to afford ;)
    Keep growing and making us proud.

    Love and blessings

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...